Hello! My name is Ms. Melanie Salgado and this is my fifth year teaching within the Diocese of San Jose. I previously worked at Most Holy Trinity School in the Preschool and Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten programs. Prior to that, I worked for two years as a Teacher’s Assistant in a Montessori Preschool environment. I have worked with young children for 20 years and am excited to join the wonderful community of St. John the Baptist School as a 2nd grade teacher.
I graduated from San Jose State with a Bachelor’s Degree in Childhood and Adolescent Development and am currently attending National University to obtain my teaching credential and Master’s Degree in Inspired Teaching and Learning. I feel it is important to support the development of each student’s academic, social, emotional, and spiritual growth and provide a strong foundation for their education so they will grow to be responsible citizens and leaders of future generations.
In my free time I enjoy being in nature and spending time with my family and 2 dogs Pixie and Buttercup. I am also a fan of all things Disney and Pixar and enjoy going on trips to Disneyland or the beach whenever possible.
Welcome to second grade at St. John the Baptist Catholic School!
Curriculum Resources & Apps
- Language Arts: Journeys, by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Journeys provides a strong and comprehensive instructional system for reading both literature and informational texts, for acquiring foundational skills, and for developing mastery of speaking, listening and writing.
Apps: Lexia, and Reading A-Z (RAZ Kids), Prodigy
- Math: Go Math! by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Go Math! Instruction is designed to fully facilitate conceptual development as students work from introduction to mastery of each content standard listed in the Common Core. Students use manipulatives, models, quick pictures and symbols as they apply Mathematical Practices to build understanding. Students actively engage in reasoning from concept or skills comprehension to solving problems in contextual situations.
Apps: Mathletics, Prodigy
- Science: Instruction is aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), facilitated in our STEM Lab, incorporating hands-on Science activities and experiments.
Apps: Generation Genius is a K-8 teaching resource that brings school science standards to life through fun and educational video, paired with lesson plans, activities, quizzes, reading material and more.
- Social Studies: Reflections - California Social Studies Weekly by American Legacy Publishing, which is an innovative curriculum program for teaching the California History-Social Studies state standards in Grade 2, featuring an engaging and easy-to-use weekly magazine format.
- Religion: Finding God-Loyola Press
- Reconciliation and First Holy Eucharist Preparation - Sadlier Sacramental Program
© 2016-2022 St. John the Baptist Catholic School. All rights reserved.