- Sacramental Preparation for First Reconciliation and First Holy Eucharist
- Two Field Trips (one to Humane Society Silicon Valley)
- STEM Lab and Science experiments
- Kodeable and Robotics instruction
- Spanish instruction weekly
- Buddy activities with 5th grade
- Choral Music weekly, opportunity to join School Choir
- Students participate in monthly Masses and prayer services, and prepare a Liturgy once during the school year
Hello, my name is Sandy Shales and this is my seventh year teaching second grade within the Diocese of San Jose. I feel blessed to be a part of the wonderful faith-filled community at St. John the Baptist School, and to have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of my students! My philosophy of education is that students must feel cared for, encouraged and supported in order to flourish academically, socially and emotionally. My goal every day is that my students feel happy, challenged and excited about learning, and are working hard, growing, and gaining confidence in their abilities.
Prior to teaching at St. John the Baptist School, I taught second grade at St. John Vianney School in San Jose. I also worked as the Humane Education Programs Specialist at Humane Society Silicon Valley, where I was able to combine my teaching experience with my love for animals, leading multiple humane education programs for pre-k through high school students.
I completed my Bachelor’s degree at San Jose State, returning to SJS to complete my teaching credential when my two sons were in elementary school. Both of my sons (now adults) attended Catholic elementary and high school, and I am very grateful for the excellent education they received within the Catholic School system.
Welcome to second grade at St. John the Baptist School!
Curriculum Resources & Apps
- Language Arts: Journeys, by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Journeys provides a strong and comprehensive instructional system for reading both literature and informational texts, for acquiring foundational skills, and for developing mastery of speaking, listening and writing.
Apps: Lexia, Scootpad Language Arts, and Reading A-Z (RAZ Kids)
- Math: Go Math! by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Go Math! Instruction is designed to fully facilitate conceptual development as students work from introduction to mastery of each content standard listed in the Common Core. Students use manipulatives, models, quick pictures and symbols as they apply Mathematical Practices to build understanding..Students actively engage in reasoning from concept or skills comprehension to solving problems in contextual situations.
Apps: ST Math, Scootpad Math, and Matific
- Science: Instruction is aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), facilitated in our STEM Lab, incorporating hands-on Science activities and experiments.
Apps: MobyMax, Mystery Science video lessons and activities
- Social Studies: Reflections - People We Know, Harcourt School Publishers. Reflections is an engaging and comprehensive program covering second grade Social Studies standards, i.e. Families Now and Long Ago, The Land Around Us, Governing the People, Using Our Resources, People in the Marketplace, and People Making a Difference.
- Religion: Be My Disciples, RCL Benziger. Be My Disciples uses an interactive, comprehensive and balanced approach for religious instruction in Catholic parishes and schools.
© 2016-2020 St. John the Baptist Catholic School. All rights reserved.