- Outdoor Education Week at Science Camp
- Coat Drive service project
- Prepare liturgy
- Field Trips
- STEM Fair Project
My name is Ariel Navotas, and I’m the sixth grade homeroom teacher and middle school math and science teacher. I started attending Catholic school in 3rd grade when my family moved to the States, and have stayed in Catholic education ever since. I received my BS and MEd from the University of Notre Dame, where I had opportunities to learn about Math and Science education through a Catholic lens. I was also able to study in Budapest through a Math education program and worked for Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics, an organization that seeks to give underserved students more equitable opportunities to access higher level education. These two experiences inspired my thesis Intentional Instruction and Meaningful Experiences: Math Camp Influences on Student Disposition, as well as research on teacher conceptions of STEM.
I believe that all students are capable of learning, growing, and having a positive impact in their communities. Learning math and science gives students opportunities to develop their abilities in problem solving, inquiry, critical thinking, analysis, communication, and decision making. The intersection of intuition and compassion with skills and knowledge that St. John the Baptist School teaches and instills will allow students to be effective members of the communities they participate in and help our students flourish in whatever they choose to pursue.
Curriculum Resources & Apps
- Big Ideas Math
- Research-based curriculum providing a rigorous, focused, and coherent curriculum that balances conceptual understanding with procedural fluency
- Supplemented by:
- adaptive assessment and learning system aimed at mastery and retention
- Desmos, Three Act Math Tasks, Open Middle, and others
- Guided math tasks and activities supporting main instruction that help extend and refine problem solving, conceptual understanding, and application.
- Comprehensive digital resources, supplemental print materials, and hands-on exploration kits that drive engagement and academic growth; students are engaged in discovery, explicit instruction, hands on activities,
- STEM Lab
- Weekly time in the STEM Lab for activities and experiments aligned with current lessons
- Social Studies
- National Geographic Learning
- Digital adaptive social studies curriculum which emphasizes document analysis and inquiry-based learning
- An adaptive online news-as-literacy platform that features current, high-interest articles on everything from current events to myths and legends and from literature to science
- Sadlier "We Believe" Series Gr. 6
- Follows the “gather-believe-respond” model for religious education which engages students in prayer, analysis of scripture, and application of message to their lives.
- Amplify ELA California Edition Program
- Is a blended interactive curriculum where students analyze complex texts and use evidence and reasoning to prove claims.
- Scope Magazine
- Adaptive programs -Reading Plus, Power up, Membean vocabulary
- Students are engaged in a daily program to apply English grammar skills to writing and speaking.
- Parts of speech
- Mechanics of writing
- Sentence structure
- The writing program provides students with the tools to clearly communicate their thoughts with attention to details, a high level of vocabulary and creativity.
© 2016-2020 St. John the Baptist Catholic School. All rights reserved.